Once, there was π...then τ...then σ...
With the twentieth century came the realization that honor societies made a definite contribution to the department and that membership required active participation. Pi Tau Sigma came into being on March 16, 1915, at the University of Illinois. A similar organization embarked November IS, 1915, at Wisconsin, and other local organizations (such as the Carzeuran of Purdue) were soon to become active.
The early leaders: Professors C. R. Richards, A. C. Willard, and O. A. Leutwiler of the University of Illinois; G. L. Larson of the University of Wisconsin; G. A. Young of Purdue University; and J. V. Martenis of the University of Minnesota, stand out for their early contributions.
In ten years Pi Tau Sigma grew to six chapters in the Midwest (Illinois Alpha, Wisconsin Alpha, Purdue Beta, Minnesota Gamma, Illinois Delta, and Missouri Epsilon). In 1925 the expansion continued to the east with the Penn State Zeta Chapter being installed. Six years later the Texas Kappa Chapter, and the following year the Colorado Mu Chapter established chapters in the south and west. Also in 1932 the expansion continued southeast to Georgia Tech Nu Chapter. It was not until nine years later that the first chapter was installed on the Pacific coast (Oregon State Omega). In twenty-six years Pi Tau Sigma became truly a national honorary mechanical engineering fraternity with a total of twenty-five chapters. During the succeeding four years nine additional chapters were installed.
From 1947 to 1958 forty new chapters were installed. The Chapter-At-Large was established in 1954. By the spring of 1993 the total established chapters had reached one hundred and fifty-three. Earlier, two established chapters in New York merged into one. At the present, the number of chartered chapters stands at one hundred seventy-two.
If you would like to learn more about Pi Tau Sigma, visit http://www.pitausigma.net
And then...there was τι
Early in the fall of 1951 outstanding mechanical engineering students at Rutgers University became interested in an honorary society. The ideals and the contributions which chapters of Pi Tau Sigma were making through the country led these students to petition the National Council with the approval of the university administration.
The petition was voted upon favorably by the active chapters of Pi Tau Sigma.The Rutgers Tau Iota Chapter of Pi Tau Sigma was formally installed on March 5, 1952, by National President F. L. Schwartz, assisted by Professor G. B. Thorn.
Rutgers Tau Iota Chapter follows the traditional activities of Pi Tau Sigma to make its contribution along with other chapters in improving scholarship and cooperating with the Mechanical Engineering Department and Rutgers University in the solution of mutual problems.